Labels

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering Sept 11, 2001

Where were you on that fateful day in September 2001?  What were you doing who were you with before time stood still for a moment while the world was all engaged in the exact same moment?

It was overcast of course soft drizzling rain from the overhead clouds as we walked outside to get our bikes and start our day.  I was serving in the England Manchester Mission at the time in the town of Warrington.  I was serving with Elder Aaron Sanford from Blanding, UT.  We had quite a few appointments that day but one that I remember most was at 5pm.  We arrived about 10min early to the home and decided to go knock to make sure they were there or we would be going to eat tea (dinner).  She was home and lets us come in.  We take off our jackets and walk into the living room where the television is turned on.   On the screen I remember seeing what I later learned was the World Trade Center Tower that was hit at approximately 4:46pm.   Elder Sanford and I thought it was a movie of some sort.  It was not  something we could have imagined to be live.  I than noticed the "Breaking News" banner scrolling at the bottom of the screen.  When I read what it said I felt like the tv was paused.  Everything moved very slowly and I sat down on the floor right in front of the TV.  I didn't know what to say or if I could say anything.  I looked over at my companion  with tear filled eyes in shock and anger as to why someone would want to do this.  We sat there for the next hour or so until we went home and called our Mission President to find out what we are suppose to do with this situation.  He told us that we could call our families if we thought anyone would have been affected by this event or if we felt the need.  I didn't call home.  
                                

I can still remember vividly what the living room looked like, what tie I had on and what the room smelled like even.  It is remarkable how our brains store memory of such traumatic events.  I am so grateful to all those who Serve and Protect this Freedom I and my family can enjoy each and every day.  I hope that we can always remember what AMERICA stands for and that we truly are "ONE NATION UNDER GOD"

Remember those who lost their lives that September day.  These lights shine up to Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment